Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found in an online search, this is pretty tasty. I make a half-recipe for myself and enjoy the leftovers heated up for "take-to-work" lunches. I particularly like that it can be made ahead, stuck in the frig overnight, and popped into the oven in the morning. Very nice when you have guests and don't want to spend a lot of time cooking and cleaning up in the morning.
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 quart milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 -10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- Generously butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Arrange the bread in the baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, cayenne and onion powder.
- Pour this mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle with the bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Bake uncovered for about one hour or until the mixture sets.
- Tent with foil if the top begins to over brown.
This is very good. I added only diced leek since we both like an onion flavor. I served it w/fried potatoes & fruit on the side, a "fan" of avocado slices on top & some salsa just for me. My DH likes this for Sun breakfast. Then I put single servings of the leftovers in a zip-lock sandwich bag for his GNG! breakfasts b4 he leaves for work (GNG! = Grab, Nuke & Go!). Thx.