Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is traditionally served during lent either on its own or with injera bread.
Make and share this Yemiser Selatta - Ethiopian Lentil Salad With Shallots and Chile recipe from Food.com.
- Place the lentils in a sieve and wash them under cold, running water before dropping them into enough lightly salted boiling water to cover them by 2-3 inches.
- Lower the heat and simmer in a partly covered pan for 25-30 minutes or until tender but still somewhat firm to the bite.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain thoroughly.
- Mix the vinegar, oil, salt and a bit of pepper in a bowl and beat together with a whisk.
- Stem and seed the chilies and roughly chop them.
- Mix everything together with the lentils and let marinated at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, before serving.
I made this salad and loved it. Instead of using the shallots in large pieces, I thinly sliced them. I also used a little more pepper than what was called for because I like it hot! hot! hot! :) Very nice recipe!
The recipe called for slicing the shallots in half. I chopped them up. There was a better mixture that way.