Warm Mushroom, Bacon & Lentil Salad
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 10 bacon, slices
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 200 g cremini mushrooms, quartered if large, halved if small
- 2 cups green lentils or 2 cups beluga lentils, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towel. When cool enough, chop into small pieces.
- Keep heat on medium high and add the onions and mushrooms. Pan fry until mushrooms are golden and onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cooked lentils. Stir to coat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, Dijon, and honey. Pour this over the mushroom/lentil mixture and stir well. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl and add the chopped bacon, arugula, tomatoes, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wipe out skillet. Over medium high heat, add oil. Fry eggs to preferred doneness while you portion salad onto 4 plates. Top each salad with a fried egg.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!