Misr Wot (Ethiopian Lentil Soup)
This was passed to me via a friend from an Ethiopian family. Berbere is a spice.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup red lentil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon berbere, divided
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt (optional)
- Rinse lentils.
- Saute onions in oil for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, water, tomato and half of the berbere.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Add the other 1/2 of the berbere together with the salt.
- Optional: a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was very nice. I made it twice - first as a soup (made as directed) and then as a stew served over rice (used 4-5 cups water). In both cases, I reduced the oil by over half. I still found it was too rich for my tastes when served as a soup, but I enjoyed it much more when served as a stew over rice. Next time I'll add a squeeze of lemon juice and try it with injera.Reply