1/1 Photo of Yataklete Kilkil -- Ethiopian Vegetables With Garlic and Ginger
From the Time Life series of African cooking. This is traditionally served during Lent as a main course but can be served any time of the year as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 small potatoes, peeled
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 whole fresh hot chili peppers, washed and seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 large scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1Start by slicing the potatoes crosswise into circular slices, dropping them as you go into cold water to stop them from discolouring.
- 2If you want to be fancy, use a small knife to cut out narrow v-shaped wedges 1/4 inch deep at 1/2 inch intervals all around the outside of the potatoes.
- 3Also cut the carrots lengthwise into quarters and then crosswise into 2-inch lengths.
- 4When you are ready to cook the veggies, first drop the potatoes into boiling water, then add the carrots and beans.
- 5Boil for 5 minutes, then drain and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.
- 6Set them aside to drain completely.
- 7Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, green pepper and chilies.
- 8Cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies are soft but not brown.
- 9Add the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper and stir for a minute or so.
- 10Add the reserved vegetables and the scallions and mix until everything is coated in oil.
- 11Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies are tender but still crisp to the bite.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yataklete Kilkil -- Ethiopian Vegetables With Garlic and Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.4
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 432.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 6.0 g