Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from a local Mexican restaurant.
- 5 ounces skirt steaks, chopped or 5 ounces lean ground beef
- 5 ounces mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed finely crumbled
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa verde, mild to hot (your choice, Xochipilli's uses mild)
- 1 tablespoon salsa verde, mild to hot (your choice, Xochipilli's uses mild)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed drained
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped divided
- kosher salt, to taste
- 9 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 quart iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, brown steak/beef and chorizo, stirring (5 minutes). While meat is cooking, chop onion and mince garlic.
- Add onion and all but 1/8 tsp cumin to pan. Stir often until onion is soft (4 to 5 minutes). Reduce heat to medium and stir in 1 1/2 cups salsa. Simmer until thick, stirring occasionally (8-10 minutes).
- While steak mixture simmers, combine black beans, 3/4 cup water, oregano, 1 tsp garlic, and chiles in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until all but about 1/4 cup liquid has evaporated (10 minutes).
- While the beans simmer, make guacamole: Pit and peel avocado. In a bowl, mash avocado with remaining 1 tbsp salsa, remaining 1/8 teaspoons cumin, remaining garlic, and the lime juice. Stir 1 tbsp cilantro into guacamole and add salt to taste.
- Line a large, rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Arrange chips in a 12-in.-wide circle. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese melts (3 to 4 minutes). While chips are baking, arrange lettuce around rim of a large serving platter (at least 16 inches wide).
- With a wide spatula, loosen chips from parchment. Carefully lift parchment from pan, then slide chips off paper into center of platter. Spoon meat mixture over chips.
- Sprinkle pickled jalapeno slices over chips. With a slotted spoon, top with beans. Spoon guacamole over center of nachos and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoons cilantro.