Member #610488's Note:
This is from a local Mexican restaurant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) whole chickens, backbone removed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (plus more)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (plus more for seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 large fresh poblano chile, quartered seeded
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered seeded
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 4 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1Open chicken and place on a work surface, skin side up. Using your palms, firmly press on breastbone to flatten the breast. Season chicken all over with 1 tablespoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and cayenne. Place in a baking dish; rub with 1 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with lemon zest, and scatter rosemary over. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 2Build a medium-low fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill and place a foil wrapped brick or heavy skillet on top of chicken to weigh it down. (This will expose more skin to direct heat, making it crispy; the chicken will also cook faster.) Cook until skin is crispy and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 3Using tongs, set brick aside. Turn chicken, cover grill, and cook for 10 more minutes. Continue cooking and turning chicken every 10 minutes, covering grill between turns, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F, about 50 minutes total. Transfer to a carving board; let chicken rest for 10–20 minutes. (Resting will make for juicier meat.) Transfer to a carving board; let chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- 4While chicken rests, add more coals to fire if necessary to increase heat to medium, or heat gas grill to medium-high. Season chile, bell pepper, and onion with salt and pepper. Grill (or use a grill basket) over medium heat, turning occasionally, until softened and charred in spots, about 12 minutes. Transfer onion to a medium bowl. Transfer chiles and peppers to a work surface and cut lengthwise into 1-inch slices. Add to bowl with onion. Add 1/4 cup vinegar to vegetables and toss to coat.
- 5Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until soft but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add basil and stir to wilt. Add basil mixture to bowl with onion. Season vegetables to taste with salt and more vinegar, if desired.
- 6Rub cut side of avocados with remaining 1 tablespoons oil, season with salt, and sprinkle with chili powder. Grill, cut side down, until avocado is gently warmed and flesh is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve chicken with vegetables and avocados.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Xochipilli's Chicken Under a Brick
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 690.0
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.7 mg
- Sodium 1294.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 32.9 g