Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicous Weight Watcher core program recipe counts as 4 point per serving to the the core member. You can really add any vegetables to taste to this recipe.
- 1 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 16 ounces refrigerated biscuits (should be 8 biscuits per can)
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In skillet, brown meat over medium heat, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in onion, tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Add veggies
- Add quartered biscuit dough to the pan of sauce & meat; stir gently until biscuits are covered with sauce.
- Spray a 9 x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray. Dump the mixture into the dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until biscuits are done.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This didn't work well for us but I'm not going to actually rate it because I think some of it was my fault. The main problem for us was the bread to sauce ratio. I couldn't locate a 16oz can of biscuits. The closest I came was the store brand which was 7.5oz per can. The name brand bicuits did not have 8 biscuits per can and I think I may have taken that part of the ingredient list too seriously. I went with 2 cans of the store brand and I think that's where I went wrong. There wasn't enough sauce for the bread and the taste of the biscuits were not very good. I'm from the South and make my own biscuits and to be honest...I can't believe those canned things have the nerve to call themselves biscuits! I know plenty of people that eat the Grands! biscuits and like them, so I'm keeping an open mind about the name brand biscuits, lol. I would recommend one can of a name brand for this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
This is amazing...I left off the hamburger and added veggies and my sister and I both love it.
I made this last night and it was a huge hit. I reheated leftovers for lunch and they were great too. When I added it to my points tracker on WW.com it came up as 7 points, though, which is fine, just an FYI. I bought the mushrooms for it but forgot to put them in and used my homemade spaghetti sauce instead of the sauce/spice combination because it was very similar to what was already in my sauce. Delicious.