Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light Critics Message Board
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons reduced fat margarine (40%oil)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350. Spray two 8-inch round or one 13x9 cake pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- In saucepan over low heat, melt lowfat margarine, stir in sugar. Remove from heat.
- Add milk, vinegar and vanilla to mixture in saucepan; stir.
- Add flour mixture; stir with whisk until well blended.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans. Bake 20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.Cake is moist, so a little stain on the toothpick is ok.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In small mixer bowl, stir together 1 envelope dream whip, 1/2 cup cold skim milk, 1 T cocoa, and 1/2 t. vanilla. Beat on high about 4 minutes until soft peaks form. This step takes forever. Don?t give up.
- For variations on the frosting, leave out the cocoa; add 1/4 t. almond extract instead of vanilla; add 1 T very strong coffee for mocha frosting.
- Spread one cake layer with half the frosting. Top with other cake layer, spread remaining frosting on top. Refrigerate 2 or 3 hours, until chilled.
- Keep leftovers in refrigerator, covered.