Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I hate sloppy joes. These are the only ones I'll eat! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Easy, fast, from scratch recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- Cook hamburger with onion and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add spices, leaving bay leaves whole, but folding them in gently.
- Put lid on and reduce heat, simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add a touch of water if you like your mix a little looser.
- Serve on buns with fresh onion and tomatoes, dill pickle if you like.
I hate sloppy joes as well, but I had to try this one. I'm glad I did I love it! so does the rest of my family. I have made this several times now, serve with lettuce tomato and slices of dill pickle and with KittenCal's Fabulous Burger Buns recipe # 117281 This one is a keeper. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!!
Ok. This was great. And boy, did I not do it right. I was CERTAIN I had chili sauce to use in place of the ketchup. WRONG-O! I had cocktail sauce. I put it in anyway. Delish! The curry powder adds another dimension. I used 1 whole tsp. Served it over garlic bread that I get from a local watering hole here on my island.
My family really liked these, with the curry added, it surprised me how good it made it. Thank you.