1/6 Photos of World's Best Lasagna
2 hrs 45 mins
Chef #164700's Note:
"It takes a little work, but it is worth it." Original recipe yield: 12 servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
- 2Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- 3Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- 4Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 5Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 6Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 7Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- 8In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 9Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 10To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 11Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
- 12Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- 13Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
- 14Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 15Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- 16Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- 17Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- 18Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- 19Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Best Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.8
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 1944.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 32.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: