Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This looks really good! From Food Everyday issue 9.
- 3 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mushroom (button or crimini)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups minimum water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Cut bacon into 1/4 in pieces.
- In a 6 oz or larger pot, put bacon, onion, and garlic. Stir once and a while, cooking for about 3 minute.
- Meanwhile, cut mushrooms in half.
- Add mushrooms and cook until the pot is almost dry, 5 min or so.
- Then add tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- Now add broth, barley, oregano, and water. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes, until barley is tender.
- If you wish, add more water to thin soup. At this time, add vinegar and salt and pepper.
This is excellent. I used chicken bacon so I added a teaspoon of butter. I'll be making this again