Recipe by blucoat
This is a great appetizer or main dish from "Kosher By Design" by Susie Fishbein. The sweetness makes it perfect for Rosh Hashanah. To make a pareve recipe, replace the chicken with 2 cans of salmon (skins and bones removed). Although this is a very easy recipe, the chicken must marinate for at least 8 hours so start this one the day before. For a healthier option,you can bake these in the oven. Serves 8 as a main course.
Top Review by Nancygirl
These were outstanding! I tried them ahead for a dinner party coming up this weekend. I tried frying the first few and baked the rest. Baking was much easier and very crispy. Instead of frying just a few at a time I was able to do an entire baking sheet at a time. I baked 3 mins per side in a pre-heated 450* oven. The dipping sauce was also very good. I cannot wait to make and eat these again. A MUST TRY!
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 cutlets)
- 1 (12 ounce) package wonton wrappers (the smaller 3 1/2 -inch square ones)
- peanut oil, for frying (about 2 cups)
APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE
- 12 ounces apricot preserves
- 4 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- For the chicken: In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, garlic, sherry, cornstarch, vegetable oil, and soy sauce. Mix the chicken squares with the marinade; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- For the wrappers: Lay the won ton wrappers in a single layer. Place 1 square of the marinated chicken in the center of the won ton wrapper. Dab a small amount of marinade on each of the corners. Fold the won ton over the chicken by bringing each of the corners to the center of the square, overlapping slightly, like a squared envelope.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet until hot. Cook the won ton wrapped chicken for about 2 minutes per side, turning once.
- For the sauce: In a small bowl, blend the apricot preserves, mustard and teriyaki sauce. Serve 4 won tons on each plate with the dipping sauce in the center.