Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This vegetarian recipe is from the Good Housekeeping December 1995 Issue.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) canmild chopped chilies
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- In 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Add butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden; remove.
- In same pan heat 2 more teaspoons olive oil; cook carrots and onion until well browned.
- Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, chiles with their liquid, vegetable broth, and salt; over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with spoon to break up tomatoes.
- Stir in black beans and butternut squash; over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili thickens.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.