Recipe by hauckster
Tyler Florence's recipe, tweaked a bit. This makes two hearty portions of salad. The vinaigrette makes enough for 4. I like to use baby red and gold beets. If you use larger beets, I would quarter them rather than cut them in half.
- 3 bunches beets
- 3 shallots
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1⁄2 loaf crusty bread
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 blood orange, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 1 bunch arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400. Cover a baking sheet in a long piece of foil (to make a packet with).
- Peel beets and shallots and cut them in halves or quarters (depending on size). Add to foil. Tear herbs off of stems, scatter over beets and shallots. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Fold foil into a packet and roast in the oven for an hour and a half.
- Cut the crusty bread into one-inch croutons. Place on baking sheet, toss with olive oil. Spread the bread chunks into a single layer. When the beets have ten minutes left, place the bread in the oven (it takes my oven 10 minutes to toast the bread).
- Make the dressing: in a bowl, stir together: honey, lemon juice, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, 4 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- Pull beets and bread out of the oven. In a large bowl, combine beets/shallots with croutons. Add arugula, chopped dates, and dressing to to taste (I use less than half of the prepared dressing). Crumble goat cheese on top. Toss and serve.