Recipe by Brookelynne26
Mario Batali recipe as posted on epicurious.com Cooking time includes roasting tomatoes. Everything else can be prepped while they roast.
- 12 plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 6 cups fresh basil leaves, plus a few leaves for garnish
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 8 large bocconcini (from buffalo mozzarella) or 2 lbs buffalo mozzarella, cut into quarters
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200°F
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1/2 cup of the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place cut side down on a small baking sheet and bake for about 2 hours, or until the tomatoes are softened.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and let cool.
- Transfer the cooled tomatoes to a colander and set aside to drain while you make the pesto.
- Combine the garlic and Parmigiano in a blender and pulse until the garlic is roughly chopped. Add the basil and pulse 7 or 8 times, or until the leaves are shredded. With the blender running, slowly add the remaining 1 cup olive oil, blending until smooth.
- Toast the pine nuts in an 8-inch sauté pan over medium heat, tossing frequently, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- To serve, arrange 3 tomato halves cut side down on each plate. Place a ball of mozzarella in the center and spoon 2 tablespoons of the pesto onto each ball of mozzarella. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and garnish with basil leaves.