3 hrs 15 mins
This delicious coffee cake is courtesy of Winklers Bakery Winston/Salem North Carolina. It is traditional served as an Easter morning breakfast treat, but is an excellent coffee cake year round. The instant potatoes give the cake a nice texture and flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water (110 F)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-fat powdered milk
- 1/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted cooled butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1Sprinkle yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar into the 1/2 cup of warm water.
- 2Set aside until yeast bubbles, and mixture is foamy.
- 3Add the next 7 ingredients, and about 1 cup of flour.
- 4Beat with a wooden spoon.
- 5Add remaining flour or a little more if needed, until bread dough consistency.
- 6Place in a greased bowl and turn it to coat.
- 7Dot dough with butter, and let it rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- 8Then, punch dough down, and place in a greased shallow baking pan (about 17 x 12 inches) Let rise 30 minutes, then sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Note: one reviewer commented "The 3 cups flour became about 7 to make it a workable dough. Must be an error in the recipe" There is no mistake in the recipe; this is a cake with a soft dough, not a bread. The term "workable" does not apply here; the soft dough will rise right in the pan. This is not a bread where you are continually kneading it into something that must be shaped. Had the reviewer simply patted it into the pan and let it rise in the pan it should have been fine. The mistake was adding all that extra flour and treating it like a bread.
- 9Now the fun begins.
- 10As if you're playing the piano, punch your fingers into the dough making indentations.
- 11Pour on remaining 1/2 cup of butter, and let dough rise another 30 minutes.
- 12Bake in a preheated 375ºF for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- 13Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winklers Moravian Sugar Cake
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.4
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 152.3 mg
- Sodium 468.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 53.9 g
- Protein 10.8 g