2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
A recipe for Miller... For those of you who cannot find yeast extract, use soy sauce. Traditionally served with bashet neeps and mashet tatties. Make a sauce of sautéed onions, whiskey, and cream to top the haggis; vegans can use other sauces, soya-cream, nothing at all. NB: if served on Burns Night (25 Jan.), Robert Burns's "Address to a Haggis" must be read before anyone is allowed to eat! That's the rules.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g barley
- 175 g pinhead oats
- 25 g rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast extract (Marmite, Vegemite, etc.)
- 100 g margarine (or substitute olive oil)
- 1 onion, large
- 100 g mushrooms
- 50 g green lentils
- 50 g split red lentils
- 100 g textured vegetable protein or 100 g vegetarian ground beef
- 400 ml strong vegetable stock (add yeast extract or soya sauce to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mixed herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, etc ( to taste)
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce (or mushroom ketchup)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 lime, juice of
- Scotch whisky (1 big tot, the peatier the better, None o' yer wee English measures!)
- 1In one pan, boil the barley for 30 minutes.
- 2In another, boil green and red lentils for 30 minutes.
- 3Drain both barley and lentils well and reserve separately.
- 4Melt 50 g margarine in a very large saucepan; then add barley, oats, and yeast extract.
- 5Sauté for three minutes or so; then reserve in a bowl.
- 6Chop onion and mushrooms fine or pop them in the food processor.
- 7Melt the other 50 g margarine in the saucepan; then add onion, mushrooms, and fake beef.
- 8Cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 9Then add lentils and the oat/barley mixture.
- 10Mix up this lot well.
- 11Gradually add vegetable stock till the mixture has a slightly juicy consistency -.
- 12but not too watery!
- 13This can be trial-and-error.
- 14I find that roughly 300 ml works for me.
- 15But I always make up about 500 ml, just in case.
- 16You can also splash in a little extra olive oil if you think it is needed.
- 17Mix in spices, whiskey, juice, and Worcestershire sauce?.
- 18and do a bit of a taste test.
- 19Once satisfied with the taste, cook the lot for about 5 extra minutes, stirring frequently.
- 20Then transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil, mash down, and place in an oven pre-heated to Gas Mark 4/ 180°C/ 350°F.
- 21Keep an eye on it in 20- to 30-minute intervals, and add stock if it dries out.
- 22Cook this for about an hour or an hour and a quarter.
- 23Times may vary greatly.
- 24Refrigerates or freezes well.
- 25Re-heat in microwave or else wrap well and tight (and waterproof) in foil or other heat-sturdy casing, then cover with water and boil for about 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Will's Vegan Haggis
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.0
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 244.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein
vegetarian worcestershire sauce