Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yummy. Thats all I can say :) and super easy. I almost ate the whole thing by myself, then I remembered I not the only one who lives in my house! Ooops!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk (2% is fine)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice, your discretion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
For lemon syrup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 1 lb. loaf pan.
- In a bowl, stir and toss together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with the flat beater attached, beat sugar and butter on medium speed until blended, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture along with the milk and lemon zest. (I decided to add some juice to make it more lemony -- Taste the batter and use your own judgement.) Add juice. Beat until blended and smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Stir in pecans.
- Spoon batter in prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted of loaf comes out clean, 40-55 minutes. (My oven tends to get a little hot, just keep your eyes on it at the end).
- Lemon Syrup: In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon juice. Set aside, stirring occasionally; dont worry if the sugar does not dissolve completely.
- Remove bread from oven and transfer pan to wire rack. Using a fork, gently poke the top in several places. Stir the syrup, then slowly drizzle over the hot bread. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes then turn loaf out (loosening it with a knife around the sides helps) onto the rack, top side up, and let cool completely.
Delicious! We loved this moist, tangy lemon bread. I used the optional lemon juice and pecans. Also, I added 1/8 tsp. lemon extract to increase the lemon flavor. I baked the loaf for 55 minutes, covering with foil when the top started to brown. The tart and tangy lemon syrup really puts this bread over the top. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! *Made for Fall 2008 My 3 Chefs*
I love this, it was easy to make and delicious. I replaced the milk with whey from another recipe I was making. Perfect for a lemon party we're having.