Canadian Lemon Bread
photo by juliadjulie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add 2 beaten eggs.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Add salt.
- Add lemon peel to the butter.
- To this add flour mix.
- Stir in milk and blend well.
- Bake in loaf pan at 350 for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add powdered sugar to lemon juice.
- When bread is done, prick top with a fork and dribble lemon juice and sugar mixture over top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent lemon loaf. Just like my Canadian Mum used to make......I used 3 mini (disposable aluminum type) loaf pans and placed them on a cookie sheet to bake for about 38 to 40 minutes. I lined each pan with parchment paper to make removing the loaves easy. I also substituted granulated sugar in the glaze, heating in the microwave to dissolve. Thanks so much for the recipe, Recipe Junkie. :)<br/><br/>Update: Just a note for anyone else making the same mistake I did.....We didn't notice anything "off" while the bread was still warm, but when it cooled it had an awful metallic after taste. After some research I realize using Clapper Girl baking powder was the culprit. It has aluminum in it and that's what we were tasting. I'm switching to Rumford double action powder from now on. :)