Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I don't know where my friend Kristin got this recipe. She gave me some to bring home and try and it was so good that I hid it so I wouldn't have to share it with anyone. I made it the next day myself and couldn't leave it alone. This is one of those recipes that you make excuses to go to the kitchen!
- 1 (6 ounce) package wild rice mix (your choice)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs (peeled & diced)
- 1 large minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1 -2 chopped fresh jalapeno (remember to use gloves)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Toast almonds for about 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and cool.
- In the meantime, cook rice mix in chicken broth, orange juice, and water until done.
- Let cool.
- Rinse kidney beans.
- In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, salt, And both peppers, set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cooked rice, kidney beans, eggs, onion, jalapeños, mayonnaise mixture, and almonds.
- Mix well and chill for 2 hours.
I used regular Calrose rice. I did not have a package of wild rice so consider this review with the substitution. I used 1 can of kidney beans and 2 hard boiled eggs and I used Miracle whip. I know those who use mayonnaise are groaning. I use both in recipes. I did not use jalapenos, with small kids eating. This was good, the orange juice and chicken broth gave it a unique flavor. It was filling and delicious!