Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cooking Light. Jan 2008.
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown and wild rice mix
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3⁄4 cup rinsed and drained canned chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Spoon rice mixture into a medium bowl. Add chickpeas, raisins, and green onions.
- Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour over barley mixture; toss well. Cover; chill 2 hours. Stir in basil and almonds.