Recipe by MWarren
This is a great recipe - my DH loves the sausage and mushroom combo. I have also used flavored cous cous and substituted the flavor packet for one of the bouillon cubes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3⁄4 lb portabella mushrooms or 3⁄4 lb white mushroom, trimmed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 link sweet Italian turkey sausage, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 2⁄3 cups couscous
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling as garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet set over moderate heat, warm the oil until hot.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until no longer pink.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, herbes de Provence, red pepper flakes, and lemon pepper, bring to a boil and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the couscous and simmer, stirring occasionally until tender and cooked. Before serving stir in the dill.
- Serve the couscous in bowls, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan if desired.