Turn regular risotto insode out with this fabulous and filling funghi treat. Freeze it: at the end of step 3 for up to 3 months. Thoroughly defrost as many risotto cakes as you need and continue with the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce butter
- 7 ounces wild mushrooms or 7 ounces chestnut mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10 1/2 ounces arborio rice
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- 3 1/4 cups vegetable stock, hot
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 4 1/2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 pieces
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1Heat 1oz of the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, until foaming. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid and set the mushrooms aside.
- 2Return the pan to the heat, add the onion, garlic and remaining butter and cook for 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until reduced to almost nothing. Add a ladleful of stock and simmer until nearly absorbed. Keep adding the stock in this way, until the rice is al dente – about 20 minutes. Fold in the thyme and mushrooms. Season, cool slightly, then chill until cold.
- 3Shape the risotto into 12 cakes. Make a hole in the centre of each and press in a piece of cheese. Cover by squeezing the sides together.
- 4Roll the risotto cakes in the flour. Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan and fry the cakes, in batches, for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
- 5Serve 2-3 risotto cakes each, with a little dressed salad and a spoonful of your favourite chutney / relish.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushroom and Mozzarella Risotto Cakes (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.5
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.4 mg
- Sodium 246.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: