I know you'll find other recipes for this dish, but you owe it to yourself to try this GREAT recipe. IT'S THE GREATEST! It's also easy & very authentic!
- Cover work surface with a sheet of waxed paper.
- Arrange cutlets with a few inches between them on paper.
- Over the cutlets, top with a second sheet of waxed paper.
- Pound cutlets out to 1/4-inch thickness using the bottom of a small heavy skillet or a rubber mallet.
- If they are already 1/4 inch, then you don't have to pound them.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Set veal aside and set up 3 disposable pie tins or wide bowls and a plate in a row.
- Place flour in 1 tin and season with salt and pepper.
- In the 2nd tin place the beaten egg with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In the 3rd tin pour out about 1 cup of cracker meal or crushed corn flakes.
- I use crushed corn flakes that are sold in a box in the supermarket already crushed.
- Dredge the veal completely in flour.
- Then coat the veal evenly with egg on both sides.
- Gently press veal into the cracker meal or crushed corn flakes and rest the coated cutlets on the plate.
- Add a drizzle of oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet.
- When the butter foams, add veal and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown all over.
- Remove to a warm plate and sprinkle a little nutmeg over the hot schnitzels.
- Garnish with the lemon wedges, as the lemon wedges are to be squeezed over the schnitzels before eating.