Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you are trying to cut back on your fat content you could always cook your leeks in a little water instead of butter, but you will need to drain the leeks before adding them to the potatoes or the mixture will be too wet, and remember the overall amount of butter needed would be reduced to 2oz for the cheese sauce. Prep time includes boiling the potatoes and eggs
- 453.59 g potato, peeled
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 113.39 g butter
- 473.19 ml milk
- 56.69 g cornflour
- 113.39 g cheddar cheese
- 4.92 ml vinegar
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt 2oz of the butter in a frying pan and soften the leeks.
- Place the eggs in a pan of cold water with the vinegar and boil for 5 mins, drain and place in cold water.
- Pre heat the oven to 200c.
- Drain and mash the potatoes, season well and carefully stir in the cooked leeks.
- Pour the milk in a pan and add the cornflour and remaining 2oz of butter, slowly bring to the boil whisking (not stirring) continuously.
- Allow to bubble gently for 2 mins then add 2/3 of the cheese, season and stir well.
- Line a large shallow ovenproof dish or 4 small gratin dishes with the potato and leek mixture.
- Shell and halve the eggs, arrange on top of the leeks.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the eggs and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 mins, serve hot.