Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Dixie Crystals.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Stone Ground, if possible)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, chilled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large baking apple (Rome or Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- Place Whole Wheat flour, the Light Brown Sugar and the all-purpose flour in a large mixing bowl and blend well.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Remove one cup and reserve for the topping.
- Stir the baking powder, salt and the one-half teaspoon of cinnamon into the remaining mixture.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the milk with the egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour into the dry mixture and stir, by hand, until just moistened.
- Grease a nine-inch, round, microwave-safe pie plate and fill with the batter.
- Arrange peeled apple slices in a single, even layer over the batter.
- To the topping, add the chopped nuts and one teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the apple slices. Mixture should cover the apples entirely.
- Microwave uncovered, on the medium heat setting for nine minutes, rotating dish every three minutes.
- Cook on high three to five minutes longer (rotating once), or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in its center and no uncooked batter remains on the bottom of the dish.
- Allow cake to stand at room temperature for five minutes.