1 hr 30 mins
Found on facebook; original recipe from From EatingWell: November/December 2012. This mini apple pie recipe will give you just a bit of something sweet and the melted wedge of Cheddar on top is a nod to the New England tradition of serving cheese with apple pie. Make Ahead Tip: Prepare crust and topping (cover and refrigerate separately for up to 3 days).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup pecans (toasted)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (salted or unsalted, cut into small pieces)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 large crisp sweet apples (such as Honeycrisp or Gala, unpeeled, diced)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F for crusts. (Temperature will be reduced to 350°F for the filling.).
- 2Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 3To prepare crust:
- 4Combine pecans, granulated sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse until the nuts are finely ground.
- 5Add 1 3/4 cups flour; pulse to combine.
- 6With the motor running, add butter a few pieces at a time until well incorporated.
- 7Then add egg and water and process until starting to clump together.
- 8Using about 1/4 cup each, press the dough into the bottom and all the way up the sides of each muffin cup to form a crust. Prick the bottom with a fork.
- 9Bake until the crusts are set and the edges are just beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- 10Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- 11To prepare filling:
- 12Combine apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar melts, about 1 minute.
- 13Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the apples start to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 14Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon flour.
- 15Divide the filling among the crusts (about 2 tablespoons each).
- 16To prepare topping:
- 17Combine oats, 2 tablespoons each flour, brown sugar and oil, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- 18Press the topping onto each mini pie (about 1 tablespoon each).
- 19Bake until the topping is beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 20Remove from the oven and nestle a cheese wedge in the center of each pie. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more.
- 21Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- 22Run a sharp knife around the edge of each mini pie to loosen it, then gently pry from the muffin tin with a butter knife. Serve warm.
- 23Make Ahead Tip: Prepare crust and topping (cover and refrigerate separately for up to 3 days).
- 24Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Mini Apple Pies With Cheddar Wedges
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.2 mg
- Sodium 214.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g