Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Found on facebook; original recipe from From EatingWell: November/December 2012. This mini apple pie recipe will give you just a bit of something sweet and the melted wedge of Cheddar on top is a nod to the New England tradition of serving cheese with apple pie. Make Ahead Tip: Prepare crust and topping (cover and refrigerate separately for up to 3 days).
- 2⁄3 cup pecans (toasted)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (salted or unsalted, cut into small pieces)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 large crisp sweet apples (such as Honeycrisp or Gala, unpeeled, diced)
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (cut into 12 small wedges)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F for crusts. (Temperature will be reduced to 350°F for the filling.).
- Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust:
- Combine pecans, granulated sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add 1 3/4 cups flour; pulse to combine.
- With the motor running, add butter a few pieces at a time until well incorporated.
- Then add egg and water and process until starting to clump together.
- Using about 1/4 cup each, press the dough into the bottom and all the way up the sides of each muffin cup to form a crust. Prick the bottom with a fork.
- Bake until the crusts are set and the edges are just beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- To prepare filling:
- Combine apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar melts, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the apples start to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon flour.
- Divide the filling among the crusts (about 2 tablespoons each).
- To prepare topping:
- Combine oats, 2 tablespoons each flour, brown sugar and oil, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Press the topping onto each mini pie (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Bake until the topping is beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and nestle a cheese wedge in the center of each pie. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of each mini pie to loosen it, then gently pry from the muffin tin with a butter knife. Serve warm.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare crust and topping (cover and refrigerate separately for up to 3 days).
- Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups.