Prep 6 mins
Cook 6 mins
I modified a whole-wheat pancake recipe to reduce sugar, fat and calories.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- canola oil cooking spray
- In a large bowl, lightly mix together dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a blender, place buttermilk, orange juice, egg whites and vanilla. Blend on low speed until well combined.
- Gradually add dry mixture to blender in 2 to 3 batches, blending on low speed until just mixed.
- Spray griddle or pan with oil spray and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Slowly pour batter from blender, a little at a time, to make individual pancakes.
- Turn pancakes when tops are covered with tiny bubbles and undersides look cooked. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until golden.
- As each pancake is cooked, transfer to warm platter until all are cooked.
- To freeze pancakes, first cool completely on wire rack.
- Stack between wax paper, then place in heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag and place in freezer.
- Reheat in microwave on high 45 seconds, or in toaster or toaster oven at medium-high heat until hot.