Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
A delicious recipe from Bob's Red Mill. Sometimes we make it with blueberries too. It's really moist and just sweet enough. Whether for a special breakfast or for dessert with a scoop of ice cream, this healthier version of coffee cake is sure to please everybody!
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Beat first four ingredients together (butter through vanilla).
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk to butter mixture, stirring to combine.
- Spoon 1/3 batter into greased 12-cup bundt pan, and sprinkle with filling.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 for 55 minutes; cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert onto a plate.
I'm sorry to give this only 2 stars, as I had been wanting to try this recipe for some time. It turned out okay, edible, but no one wanted a second helping. When I look at all of the good ingredients, I can't help but wonder why it doesn't taste better.
The filling part was tasty, but the cake itself was not sweet enough... next time I'll add more sugar. However, a cup of butter does not make this a "healthier version"!!!