Recipe by GingerC
This is a wonderful whole wheat bread recipe I received from my friend. It's easy and takes very little work.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yeast
- 3 cups water (warmed in microwave until 110 to 125 degrees)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a KitchenAid (or any other mixer) put 4 cups whole wheat flour, 2 T yeast, 2/3 cups sugar and 3 cups warm water (between 110 and 125 degrees).
- Mix with regular beater for 15 minutes.
- Let sit for about 1 hour. It will rise and fall several times during this time.
- Mix 1 T salt in to dough thoroughly.
- Add the oil at this point if you are going to do it. The oil helps act as a preservative.
- Using a dough hook, mix 3 cups bread flour for 10 minutes.
- By the time this is done mixing it should
- Remove from bowl.
- Place on floured surface.
- Knead for a couple minutes. Add a little flour if it still feels too sticky.
- Cut in half.
- Knead both halves until they are smooth.
- Place each in pans sprayed with Pam.
- Let rise for about an hour. It doesn't have to be in a warm place. I just put mine on top of my cold stove.
- When they are finished rising, they will look like regular sized loaves.
- Place in cold oven.
- Turn oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Take out and place on wire cooling rack. If you let them cool in the pan or on the counter, they will get a little soggy.
- Cut and enjoy.