Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Whole Wheat Bread from Cookbooks.com with my changes, molasses instead of honey, and 1 cup of multigrain cereal substituted for 1 cup of the bread flour. Makes a nice light bread.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast (1 Packet)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water (110 degrees)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (lukewarm)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 -4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup multigrain cereal (uncooked)
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup water, but put in 1 Cup measure, because it will overflow the 1/2 cup as the yeast activates. Let stand 10 minutes. Beat together in large bowl egg, oil, 2 1/2 cups water, salt and molasses (honey). Add yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and multigrain cereal.
- Let rest 30 minutes. Knead in bread flour about 10 minutes. Oil bowl. Turn dough so all sides are oiled.
- Coverwith plastic, then a towel and let rise until double, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down. Divide dough in 1/2. Cover for 10 minutes. Grease pans. Roll dough like a jelly roll. Place in pans. Let rise to double. Place in cold oven. Then 400 degrees. After 15 minutes, reduce to 375 degrees for 25 minutes.