1/1 Photo of Whole Wheat Banana Muffins (Healthy!)
Chef #1401315's Note:
These muffins are a healthy option because of the wheat flour and flax seed. The sugar could probably be reduced further, if desired, but I haven't tried to do that yet. If you don't want to use the wheat flour, just use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. I add some quick oats to the topping, for presentation. Also good in a mini-muffin pan!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (vegan egg replacer works too)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks work too)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pan or use muffin papers.
- 2Mix up the flours, flax, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- 3In a smaller bowl, mash bananas. Add sugar, egg and melted butter to bananas.
- 4Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir.
- 5Divide mixture evenly into muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- 6Prepare streusel topping. Sprinkle onto tops of muffins and lightly press struesel into batter (so it will stay in place as muffin rises).
- 7Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. They should pass the toothpick (or knife) test.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Banana Muffins (Healthy!)
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.1
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 33.7 mg
- Sodium 288.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 3.4 g