Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made-up this recipe because I wanted a healthy breakfast cookie that can be pulled from the freezer for on-the-go mornings or as a healthy after school snack.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking Quaker Oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 small unpeeled tart apple, diced (Granny Smith)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and walnuts. Add in the applesauce, diced apple and egg. Mix ingredients thoroughly until combined. Scoop out dough with a 1/4 measuring cup onto a greased cookie sheet to form 10 cookies. Press dough of each cookie down slightly with fingers. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops no longer appear wet. Let set on baking sheet a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.