Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Not a joke, this is an actual recipe. My kids went to a Bedouin camp exhibit and everyone got a copy of this recipes(although not everyone got a taste). My translation into English. Who knows, next time you want to have a "different" type of barbeque, why not go for it?
- Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken.
- Boil until tender.
- Cook rice until fluffy.
- Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice.
- Hard boil eggs and peel.
- Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice.
- Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens.
- Add more rice.
- Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice.
- Broil over large charcoal pit until brown.
- Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice.
- Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts.
- Serves a friendly crowd of 80-100.
I've seen a similar recipe - for elephant stew! Hare in my entree? No thanks! But then, I rarely turn down an invitation to dinner!
Guess what! A recipe like this really was printed in a cookbook. II found it on snopes.com (a wonderful website dedicated to disproving/proving urban legends). Enter "stuffed camel" in the search bar. Very interesting reading!