Recipe by Lise in Indiana
Similar to Bisquick, but with whole-grain goodness. I have used this mix cup for cup for Bisquick recipes and it turns out pretty well. You can substitute whole wheat flour for ALL the flour, if you like, though your baked products may be a little denser.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Crisco (see note) or 1 cup butter (see note)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together well, using a pastry blender.
- Store in air-tight container, in a cool dry place.
- NOTE: About Crisco, avoid those hydrogenated and trans fats and use butter, but the resulting mix will need to be stored it in the fridge.
- For Biscuits: 3 cups mix, 1 cup water. Mix well. Divide into 16 biscuits. Use greased baking sheet and bake at 425º F for 10-12 minutes. (Recipe may be halved).
- For Pizza Crust: 1 Tbsp yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water. Add 2 1/4 cups mix. Knead on floured surface. Let rise 10 minutes. Spread on greased pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Bake at 425º F for 10 minutes, then add sauce and toppings of choice. Return to oven and bake until hot and the cheese is melted.