Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
Whilst in Malaysia recently I picked up this recipe. It is amazing. The chicken is cooked in a claypot which can be purchased from Asian food stores. It is a specialty of the Maharaj restaurant.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken, whole
- 50 g ghee
- 5 g ginger, julienned
- 1 g cumin seed
- 1 g fennel seed
- 5 g chili powder
- 250 g minced chicken
- 25 g cashew nuts
- 10 g glace cherries
- 10 g raisins
- 25 g coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 egg, hard-boiled
- 150 g ghee
- 50 g ginger-garlic paste
- 250 g onions, ground to a paste with water added
- 1 star anise
- 3 g cloves
- 5 g cardamom
- 5 g cinnamon
- 3 g fennel powder
- 5 g cumin powder
- 10 g chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 100 g cashew nuts paste
- 50 g almond paste
- 50 g pistachios, paste
- 500 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Chicken:.
- Heat ghee in wok, add ginger, cumin, fennel and chilli powder.
- Fry until fragrant, add minced chicken and stir until cooked.
- Add rest of ingredients except egg, stir-fry a few minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- Stuff boiled egg into cavity of chicken, followed by handfuls of stuffing until cavity filled.
- Place chicken in claypot.
- Pour gravy (instructions follow) over chicken and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Seal claypot with a layer of foil then claypot lid ensuring no steam can escape.
- Place claypot in preheated oven of 120 Degrees C and slow cook for 2 hours.
- Once cooked remove chicken from claypot and serve whole with gravy poured over or you can carve it and serve with gravy and stuffing on the side.
- To cook Gravy:.
- Heat saucepan over low heat and add ghee.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, onion paste, dry spices and bay leaves.
- Mix well and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add nut pastes, continue stirring a few minutes before adding water.
- Bring to boil and turn off the heat.