Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a little book of Casual Entertaining published by Wellspring.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Combine rice, water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let sit 10 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to cooked rice and tightly pack into a buttered ring mold. Let stand in warm place for 10 minutes.
- While rice is sitting, melt butter in saucepan. Saute onion until soft.
- Add peas, lettuce and broth.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Invert rice ring onto platter. Place peas in center of rice ring and serve.
Nice dish to serve with a very richly-flavoured stew I made. I did find the cooked lettuce a little off-putting with the peas as I didn't like the texture, and will leave it out next time. Thanks.