Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is absolutely the most decadent, richest ice cream I have ever tasted. With a red raspberry sauce it is a great finish to a meal. Serve small portions with shortbread or ladyfingers and espresso.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces cream cheese or 4 ounces mascarpone
- 1 vanilla bean
- 10 ounces white chocolate
- Split bean, scrape out seeds.
- Mix dry ingredients, add milk and cream. Add bean and seeds. Bring almost to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Pour 1/2 cup of hot mixture into eggs in a thin stream, beating well. Return egg mixture to hot mixture, stirring.
- Replace on medium heat, add chocolate. Stir constantly until chocolate melts. Continue stirring while adding cheese.
- It will take anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes for the cream cheese to melt. If the temperature is too high, the cheese will cook and become sweet cottage cheese.
- When all is melted, remove from heat and let cool slightly. This is not a thick custard.
- Pour 1 c heavy cream in large bowl. Strain milk/chocolate/cheese mixture into the cream. Stir well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker's directions.
- Temper the finished ice cream in a tightly covered container for several hours.
This recipe is quite good. However, I added a bit of lemon zest to really bring out the cheesecake flavor. I also soaked my cranberries a bit to give them a bit more flavor to release into the ice cream. Definitely a winner!