Recipe by Daydream
Looking for ways to use up left-over mashed potato? I came across this recipe recently but have not yet tried it. The mashed potato is reputed to add body and give a moist, dense but tender texture to the cake, without adding any flavor of its own. Let us know what you think.
- 3⁄4 cup cooked mashed potatoes (at room temperature)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup soft butter
- 4 medium eggs, separated
- 10 ounces white chocolate, grated
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- white chocolate, shavings or curls
- dark chocolate, shavings or curls
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.
- Grease and flour a 9" round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, egg yolks and butter until smooth.
- Then add the grated chocolate, ground almonds, flour and milk, and blend well.
- Add the mashed potato (first softened with a fork) to the creamed mixture.
- Place egg whites in another bowl and whisk until stiff, then lightly fold into the cake mixture.
- Transfer mixture to prepared cake pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until an inserted cake skewer/toothpick comes out clean.
- Decorate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.