Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A more sophisticated version of Bread pudding due to the cherries, this is a great way to use white chocolate.
- 1 loaf Hawaiian bread (can use any dense egg bread)
- 7 ounces fine-quality white chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (can use sweet wine but that will of course change the taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup dried tart cherry
- Butter an 8-inch square glass baking dish; cut or tear enough of the bread to equal six cups; chop chocolate into coarse pieces.
- In a small heavy saucepan bring 1 cup cream just to a boil and add chocolate.
- Remove pan from heat and let mixture stand covered & undisturbed.
- In another small heavy saucepan bring milk and remaining cup cream to a gentle simmer; in a bowl with an electric mixer beat together whole eggs, yolks, sugar, and a pinch salt on medium speed 5 minutes.
- With mixer running add milk mixture in a slow stream, beating until combined well.
- Whisk chocolate mixture until smooth & add with vanilla to egg mixture; beat mixture until combined well.
- Pour cream mixture over bread cubes and with a spoon push bread down into mixture to coat evenly.
- Chill pudding, covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F; pour bread mixture into baking dish.
- Put baking dish in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to pan to reach 1/2 the way up sides of dish.
- Bake pudding in middle of oven 45 to 50 minutes or until set and springy to the touch.
- Transfer pudding to a rack and cool for thirty minutes (pudding is also good chilled).
- Poach cherries while pudding is baking;.
- in a saucepan bring wine, water and sugar to a boil stirring until sugar is dissolved; add cherries and remove pan from heat; let mixture stand for one hour;drain cherries in a sieve and discard liquid.
- Serve pudding with cherries and whipped cream.