Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated at room temperature
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
- 3 cups heavy cream, whipped
- white chocolate, sliced into curls or grated (for garnish)
- dark chocolate, sliced into curls or grated (for garnish)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Melt 2 tbsp butter over low heat.
- Stir in crumbs.
- Pat evenly in the bottom of a deep 9" springform pan.
- Bake at 180 deg C for 10 minutes.
- Cool, then place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Heat water.
- Add white chocolate and stir until partially melted.
- Remove from heat and beat until smooth.
- Cool slightly, then beat in egg yolks, cool completely.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate and 1 tbsp butter over low heat.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add salt and cream of tartar.
- Gradually add sugar, beating constantly, until stiff but not dry.
- Fold one-third of the egg whites into white chocolate mix; fold back into egg whites.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- To make dark chocolate layer, transfer about 3 cups mixture to a medium bowl.
- Fold about 1/2 cup into dark chocolate; fold back into reserved mixture.
- Pour half the white chocolate mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Carefully pour on dark chocolate mixture.
- Gently spread with spatula.
- Pour remaining white chocolate mixture in pan an smooth the top.
- Place in freezer until top begins to set.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.