Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cooking Light 2005
Make and share this White Beans With Roasted Red Pepper and Pesto recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 10 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped bottled roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- To prepare pesto, combine first 8 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare beans, sort and wash the beans. Combine beans and 4 cups water in a 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure, and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid; drain beans.
- Combine beans, 6 cups water, onion, sage, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 2 garlic cloves in cooker.
- Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure; cook 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid; let bean mixture stand for 10 minutes. Drain bean mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Return bean mixture and reserved 1 cup liquid to cooker. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, bell peppers, and vinegar. Stir well to combine. Top bean mixture with pesto.