Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wonderful low fat, tasty chili made with fresh tomatillos. The tomatillo fruit is surrounded by a paper-like husk formed from the calyx. As the fruit matures, it fills the husk and can split it open by harvest. The husk turns brown, and the fruit looks like a small, shiny green tomato. The green color and tart flavor are the main culinary contributions of the fruit to many Latin American dishes. NOTE: prep time does not include overnight soaking of beans.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs dried great northern beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped white onions
- 8 ounces diced green chilies
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 7 cups organic chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatillos
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless boneless turkey breasts
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Place white beans in large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches; let stand overnight. Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute 5 minutes.
- Add diced chilies, minced garlic, oregano, cumin, and chili powder; saute 5 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken broth, chopped tomatillos, and cilantro.
- Bring bean mixture to boil.
- Cut turkey breast in half crosswise and add to bean mixture. Simmer until turkey is just cooked through (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer turkey to a plate, cover with foil and refrigerate.
- Simmer chili until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Cut turkey into 1/2 inch pieces. Add turkey, green onions, and lime juice to chili and stir. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with chopped fresh cilantro and cheddar cheese.