3 hrs 40 mins
TexasGal #2's Note:
Wonderful low fat, tasty chili made with fresh tomatillos. The tomatillo fruit is surrounded by a paper-like husk formed from the calyx. As the fruit matures, it fills the husk and can split it open by harvest. The husk turns brown, and the fruit looks like a small, shiny green tomato. The green color and tart flavor are the main culinary contributions of the fruit to many Latin American dishes. NOTE: prep time does not include overnight soaking of beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs dried great northern beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped white onions
- 8 ounces diced green chilies
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 7 cups organic chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatillos
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless turkey breasts
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Place white beans in large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches; let stand overnight. Drain and rinse beans.
- 2Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute 5 minutes.
- 3Add diced chilies, minced garlic, oregano, cumin, and chili powder; saute 5 minutes.
- 4Add beans, chicken broth, chopped tomatillos, and cilantro.
- 5Bring bean mixture to boil.
- 6Cut turkey breast in half crosswise and add to bean mixture. Simmer until turkey is just cooked through (about 20 minutes).
- 7Transfer turkey to a plate, cover with foil and refrigerate.
- 8Simmer chili until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- 9Cut turkey into 1/2 inch pieces. Add turkey, green onions, and lime juice to chili and stir. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Top each serving with chopped fresh cilantro and cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean Turkey Chili
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.0
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 52.7 mg
- Sodium 1072.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 45.7 g