I was at a "soup party" the other day and this was one of the soups presented and shared. FANTASTIC! The hostess also made the same recipe only reduced the broth by 2 cups and added ground cooked turkey to make it like a chili.(THIS MAKES IT NON-VEGETARIAN, unless you use an alternative) Cheeses and hot pepper flakes were set tableside so everyone could add to their liking. I love that this is a healthy and versatile soup. "Beans are full of healthy phytochemicals. In addition to this, beans contain a lot of dietary fiber. This is important because research now suggests that getting fiber from FOOD sources is the key to reducing risk of many cancers, including colon cancer. Fiber from fiber supplements does not appear to reduce risk of colon cancer. Try this tasty recipe for white bean soup to get more fiber and phytochemicals into your diet!" Adopted from the Caring4Cancer newsletter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions or 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (if fresh is not available, try 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground, dried rosemary)
- 7 -8 cups vegetable stock (to save time, use vegetarian bullion cubes)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse well and drain white beans. Rinsing away the liquid around canned beans can help cut down on the amount of gas you may experience from beans.
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Saute while stirring lightly until vegetables are soft (5 to 10 minutes).
- Add garlic and rosemary and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add drained beans and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After simmering, place 1/3 to ½ of the bean soup in the blender.
- Carefully blend until thick and smooth. Caution: Be very careful when blending, letting steam and heat escape every few seconds, by lifting blender lid slowly throughout blending. If steam and heat build up, the lid can blow off the blender.
- Return blended soup to pot and stir to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle each bowl with a little parmesan cheese.
- See above for chili variation.
- * if you do not like pureed soup, do not use the blender method just eat as cooked. I like it without the blender method.