1/4 Photos of White Bean and Rosemary Soup
I was at a "soup party" the other day and this was one of the soups presented and shared. FANTASTIC! The hostess also made the same recipe only reduced the broth by 2 cups and added ground cooked turkey to make it like a chili.(THIS MAKES IT NON-VEGETARIAN, unless you use an alternative) Cheeses and hot pepper flakes were set tableside so everyone could add to their liking. I love that this is a healthy and versatile soup. "Beans are full of healthy phytochemicals. In addition to this, beans contain a lot of dietary fiber. This is important because research now suggests that getting fiber from FOOD sources is the key to reducing risk of many cancers, including colon cancer. Fiber from fiber supplements does not appear to reduce risk of colon cancer. Try this tasty recipe for white bean soup to get more fiber and phytochemicals into your diet!" Adopted from the Caring4Cancer newsletter
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions or 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (if fresh is not available, try 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground, dried rosemary)
- 7 -8 cups vegetable stock (to save time, use vegetarian bullion cubes)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Rinse well and drain white beans. Rinsing away the liquid around canned beans can help cut down on the amount of gas you may experience from beans.
- 2In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Saute while stirring lightly until vegetables are soft (5 to 10 minutes).
- 3Add garlic and rosemary and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Add drained beans and vegetable stock.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 6After simmering, place 1/3 to ½ of the bean soup in the blender.
- 7Carefully blend until thick and smooth. Caution: Be very careful when blending, letting steam and heat escape every few seconds, by lifting blender lid slowly throughout blending. If steam and heat build up, the lid can blow off the blender.
- 8Return blended soup to pot and stir to mix.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle each bowl with a little parmesan cheese.
- 11See above for chili variation.
- 12* if you do not like pureed soup, do not use the blender method just eat as cooked. I like it without the blender method.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean and Rosemary Soup
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.5
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 141.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: