Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is the best flank steak I've ever had. Kids will love these in sandwiches. recipe from HM. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup whiskey (try Yukon Jack, good stuff!)
- 1⁄4 orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 lbs flank steaks, about 3/4 inch thick (2 cm)
- salt and pepper
- Stir together whisky, orange juice, brown sugar, oil, vanilla, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce.
- Pour over steak; marinate for at least 1 day in freezer.
- Remove steak from marinade (you will love the aroma) and bring to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill and now you can bring the marinade to a boil and reduce by half.
- Season the steak.
- Put it on greased grill and brush with reduced marinade.
- cook covered for 6 minutes.
- Turn and brush more marinade.
- Grill for another 5 minutes to get a rare texture.
- Slice thinly (against the grain) to serve.
This is very good, easy to prepare and I had all the ingredients on hand... (well, now we don't have any more whiskey) I doubled the recipe for two large flank steaks, put them in the fridge in the morning and ate at 7pm, the flavor had penetrated nicely through the meat. Cooked it on the grill, didn't time it (I never do, I go by feel) My own personal preference, next time, I'm going to add some cider vinegar, only because I look for that little bit of a kick that vinegar can give to a marindade. Thanks for sharing!
This recipe would be fine if you like your food tasting like alcohol, but in my house we prefer other flavors. My daughter ate one piece of this and pushed her plate away.
This was a very interesting recipe, with the vanilla. I was a little nervous about it and used only a few drops of vanilla (you can still taste it). I left the ginger out, only because we had eaten chicken with a ginger sauce for a few days previously! I must admit, we overcooked the meat, so it didn't do the marinade justice, but that was our fault!I liked the interesting flavor. I will make again. Roxygirl in Colo.