Recipe by Megohm
A really tasty version of your classic chicken and shrimp gumbo, only a little more healthful. I took a few hints from Emeril (with the roux), and came up with this. I haven't heard anything but compliments so far! :D
Top Review by a.blair
I use this recipe ALL the time - it has become a staple in my house, but I made a few 'sinful' changes - I make the roux in the regular way, in a pan, and I use one pound chorizo sausage, usually in place of the chicken. I always use chicken broth instead of water and I blend the vegetables and broth before adding the okra, sausage and shrimp. I also add chopped red pepper after I blend, just for colour. I have no idea if this is authentic, as I'm from cold Canada and have never been to the south. I've only had Zatarains gumbo from a mix I bought in the grocery store, and one other recipe I made before this, but it had tomato in it and wasn't very good. I think tomato-less gumbo is the way to go! This recipe rocks!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄2 lb chicken (cut into small pieces)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 cups okra (chop into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- cayenne or hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- *** Spread flour on a small baking sheet evenly and bake in oven at 400°F, cook stirring occasionally until flour is a dark nut brown. (Good to make in a larger amount like 3/4 cup, so you have some on hand for next time).
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat oil and butter and add celery, onion, pepper and garlic. Cook about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and stir, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups of water or broth and let cook for about 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken.
- Add chicken and remaining 2 cups of water (broth) and cook until chicken is done, about 1/2 hour.
- Add bay leaf and cayenne (as much as you like), and okra. Cook about ten minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook till done, about 5 minutes or so.
- Serve over rice.