Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
This tasty salad is good all year around, but it's especially nice in the fall to have with holiday lunches. Prep and cooking times include chilling and such.
- 1 cup dry wheat berries
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 10 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, halved/cored and cut into small dice (Gravenstein or Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped cashews, unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place wheat berries, raisins, dried currants, shallot, and water in a large pan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until very tender (about 1 hour and 10 minutes) stirring twice.
- Drain and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the oil, orange juice, vinegar, coriander, cinnamon, apples, cashews, feta cheese, and salt/pepper, and toss well.
- Chill for an hour (stirring once), serve, and enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings.