Charlotte J's Note:
I buy a Honey Wheat berry bread from Earth Grains. I just love the wheat berries in it. I found this recipe in From All Around The World Cookbook by Sheila Lukins and I hope it proves to be just a good. I'm not counting the time it takes to cook berries or for the dough to rise. But like most breads it will be an all morning job.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the wheat berries in a strainer, rinse well under running water, and drain.
- 2Bring 1 1/2 cups tap water to a boil in a small saucepan and add the berries.
- 3Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the berries are soft and the water is absorbed, about 1 hour.
- 4After the berries have cooked for 20 minutes, stir together the yeast, 1/2 cup of the warm water, and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour in a large bowl.
- 5Let rise for about 40 minutes.
- 6Stir the remaining 1 cup warm water, the oil, molasses, honey, salt, and whole-wheat flour into the yeast mixture.
- 7Add the flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 8When the mixture becomes too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a floured work surface and knead.
- 9Flatten the dough and press in the cooked wheat berries.
- 10Knead in the remaining 1/3 cup all-purpose flour until the dough is elastic and springs back when lightly pressed, about 6 minutes.
- 11Form the dough into a ball, place it in an oiled bowl, and turn the dough in the bowl to coat it well with oil.
- 12Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until the dough does not spring back when lightly pressed, about 2 hours.
- 13Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, press it flat, fold both the sides in and roll the dough into a log.
- 14Pinch the seam closed and set it into an oiled 10 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- 15Push the dough down flat.
- 16Place the pan in a plastic bag and tuck the bag opening under the pan to close.
- 17Let rise until the dough domes up and does not spring back when lightly pressed, about 1 hours.
- 18Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 19Remove the pan from the plastic bag.
- 20Using a sharp serrated knife, cut 3 diagonal slashes across the top of the loaf.
- 21Place the bread in the oven, spritz the inside of the oven a few times with water from a plant mister, and quickly close the door.
- 22Bake 15 minutes.
- 23Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.
- 24To test for done-ness, remove the bread from the pan and rap the bottom.
- 25It should sound hollow.
- 26If it is not quite done, continue baking out of the pan up to 10 minutes more.
- 27Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wheat Berry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2769.1
- Calories from Fat 553
- Total Fat 61.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7043.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 503.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 54.1 g
- Sugars 105.7 g
- Protein 75.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: