Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers adds a little zing to Wheat and Cheese Spirals. You may be fooled when you bite into them. They have the tender texture of yeast breads, but are actually made like biscuits. Serve them with soups or salads. On their own, they’re great as snacks.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup regular margarine
- 1 beaten egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- melted butter or margarine
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds or toasted wheat germ or dill seed
- In a mixing bowl stir together the whole wheat flour, the baking powder, and the salt.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center. Combine egg and milk; add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just till dough clings together. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 12 to 15 STROKES. Roll dough into a 15 x 6 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle cheese over dough. Fold dough in half lengthwise to make a 15 x 3 inch rectangle. Cut into fifteen 3 x 2 inch strips. Holding a strip at both ends, twist in opposite directions twice to form a spiral.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet, pressing both ends down. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sesame seed, poppy seed, toasted wheat germ, or dill seed. Bake in a 450°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 15 spirals.
- Cooking with Whole Grains BHG.